25 Mar Overview of Child Abuse Prevention Month 2021
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month, an important time to remember that everyone has a role to play in keeping communities safe for kids to grow and thrive. According to data from the latest national Child Maltreatment Report, Kentucky has the highest rate of child maltreatment in the nation for the third year running. The Face It Movement, an initiative founded and funded by Kosair Charities, directly addresses the unacceptable incidences of child abuse and neglect in Kentucky by promoting best practices in child abuse prevention and intervention, building awareness and engaging the community, and advocating for effective policies to improve the child welfare system.
During the month of April, Face It will be hosting a series of events and trainings, sharing free resources for parents, community members, and professionals, promoting child safety tips and family engagement ideas, and more! See below for a schedule of events and other happenings throughout April, and check out 5 ways you can take action during Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Week of March 29 – Supporting Families
– Wednesday, March 31 at 12:00 PM EST: Kick-Off to Child Abuse Prevention Month with Kosair Charities Face It Movement (watch the recording via Facebook Live)
Week of April 5 – Recognizing and Reporting Maltreatment
– Tuesday, April 6 at 2:00 PM EST: Support Over Silence for KIDS Training
This training will teach bystanders to confidently diffuse challenging situations between caregivers and their children in public. Facilitated by Nancy Weaver, PhD., MPH, Professor of Behavioral Science in the Department of Behavioral Science, St. Louis University, College for Public Health and Social Justice. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
– Wednesday, April 7 at 12:00 PM EST: Preventing Child Sexual Abuse in Your Faith-Based Communities – A Training with Ministry Safe
During the training you will learn ways to identify the behaviors of potential offenders known to the child, how to identify problematic behavior, as well as the importance of reporting. Facilitated by Gregory Love, JD – Partner, Love & Norris Attorneys; Founder/Director of MinistrySafe and Abuse Prevention Systems. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
– Friday, April 9 at 10:00 AM EST: Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma Prevention Training
Join the Kentucky Oral Health Coalition for a free training on recognizing the signs of pediatric abusive head trauma and how to prevent child maltreatment. FREE Continuing Education credits are available for dentists and dental hygienists. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
View and download the new online toolkit for health professionals, featuring resources on preventing, recognizing, and reporting child abuse and neglect. Thank you to Delta Dental of Kentucky for their support of this project.
Week of April 12 – Honoring Fathers and Father-Figures
– In collaboration with 502 Fathers, The Fatherhood Initiative, and Prevent Child Abuse Kentucky (PCAK), Face It will be releasing a series of short videos about the importance of fathers and father figures in nurturing relationships and keeping kids safe. Follow Face It on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
– View and download 10 Activities to Engage with your Infant and Toddler, which offers parents and caregivers ideas for meaningful interactions with their baby or toddler .
Week of April 19 – Meeting Families’ Basic Needs
– Tuesday, April 20 at 10:00 AM EST: Build Your Village Panel with Parents
Join us for a panel discussion around what parents need and want in order to effectively parent, how they build their village, and ways they have been supported by their village. Register here.
– Thursday, April 22 at 12:00 PM EST: Self-Care Lunch and Learn for Parents
Face It and Bounce Coalition Certified Trainer Leigh Ann Yost will provide a Self-Care Lunch and Learn for Parents and Caregivers. During this interactive session, participants will learn to recognize the signs of stress, the importance of self-care, and strategies to care for yourself. Register here.
Week of April 26 – Celebrating, Healing, and Looking Ahead
– Monday, April 26 at 3:30 PM EST: Facebook Live with Aetna Better Health of Kentucky on Mindfulness & Self-Care
Hear from a mindfulness trainer and fitness enthusiast (who is also a former foster youth) about how you can activate your body to process stress and trauma. (watch via Facebook Live)
– Tuesday, April 27 at 11:30 AM EST: Kosair Charities Town Hall
Kentucky is number one in child abuse and neglect in the United States. Join us to learn how your donations are used to help end child abuse and neglect through intervention, prevention, and policy. Panelists include partners in the Face It Movement. Register here.
– Wednesday, April 28 at 10:00 AM EST: Kentucky Youth Advocates’ Advocate Virtual Forum
Join Kentucky Youth Advocates, Governor Andy Beshear, and Cabinet for Health and Family Services Secretary Eric Friedlander as we discuss child abuse prevention and supporting Kentucky kids and their families. Register here.
– Wednesday, April 28 at 3:30 PM EST: Keeping Kids Safe in a Digital World
Join Face It, University of Kentucky Pediatric Forensic Medicine, and KSPAN for an expert virtual panel on child internet safety and ways to prevent child exploitation via the Internet. Register here.
– Thursday, April 29 at 1:00 PM EST: Survivor Strong – Healing & Reclaiming Life After Childhood Abuse
Join Face It, Survivors’ Corner, and Leigh Ann the Advocate to hold space for survivors of child abuse during Child Abuse Prevention Month 2021. We will connect to recognize and honor those who have survived child abuse and neglect and have gone on to share their healing journey with others. Register here.