28 Mar Kentuckiana’s Kick Off Rally to End Child Abuse: April 9
Area Private & Public Children’s Agencies Come Together at Louisville’s Slugger Field
WHAT: Kosair Charities and Family & Children’s Place, plus an array of other area children’s agencies, will join together to kick off Child Abuse Prevention Month and new 10-year campaign to end this cruelty.
WHEN: Tuesday, April 9, 2013, 10:30 a.m. EDT
WHERE: Louisville Slugger Field, 401 E Main St., Louisville, KY 40202, 502.212.2287
- Mr. Dan Fox, CEO Family & Children’s Place
- Mr. Jerry Ward, Chairman of the Board, Kosair Charities
- Dr. Melissa Currie, Chief of the University of Louisville’s Pediatric Forensic Medicine
- Ms. Pam Darnall, President, Family & Children’s Place, Kosair Charities Child Advocacy Center Dr. Terry Brooks, Executive Director, Kentucky Youth Advocates
- Senator Julie Denton
WHY: The official start of Kosair Charities’ Campaign to End Child Abuse, a vitally important initiative to educate adults and children through a strategic 10-year prevention plan to stop the multitude of abuse throughout the Commonwealth. A sampling of the staggering statistics from the Child Welfare League of America:
- In 2010, 18,332 Kentucky children were victims of abuse or neglect, a rate of 18.1 per 1,000 children;
- Of those, 96.4% were neglected, 8.5% were physically abused, and 4.5% were sexually abused;
- 18 Kentucky children died as a result of abuse or neglect in 2011.
Throughout the duration of the 2013-2022 program a new child abuse awareness initiative will be introduced annually with over 15 Kosair Charities non-profit affiliates helping spearhead the project that will present examples of collective action; support child protection aligned missions; and initiate public engagement and calls to action for support.
About Kosair Charities: Since 1923 Kosair Charities has had one primary mission – helping children in need. Kosair Charities knows that the quality of a child’s tomorrow depends largely on the quality of health, medical treatment, and support a child receives today. That’s why over the years Kosair Charities has given more than $335 million to serve thousands of children and provide them a second chance at life. Kosair Charities is also the largest private benefactor to Kosair Children’s Hospital. For more information please visit http://kosair.org or call 502.637.7696.