Face It® Friday: Easy Ways to Show Love!
Parental love is important for the development of a child. When parents express their love, it makes the child feel safe and secure. Many of us focus on romantic love on Valentine’s Day, but it’s also a good time to think about the love we show our children. The following are some acts of love you can demonstrate this month and every month to show your little one that you love them.
- Read together. Taking the time to read with your child shows that you want to spend time with them.
- Verbally affirm positive actions. Saying “thank you” or “good job” goes a long way. Steady support can help them to discover their strengths.
- Offer hugs and cuddles. Studies have shown that children who are hugged, kissed, and nurtured have better mental and physical health. Even if you have adult children, be sure to offer hugs regularly!
- Leave notes in their lunch box. If your child goes to school and packs a lunch, slip a love note in there every now and then just to show him you are thinking of him.
- Say “I love you” often. Children need to hear the words “I love you,” this creates a sense of security.
Find more ways to show love from the American Academy of Pediatrics.